Electricity offers so many advantages but it’s important that you know how to use it wisely. Read on for some tips to keep you and your family safe!
- These are for temporary use only.
- Don’t try to hide them under the carpet and don’t run one through water, even if it is designed to be water-resistant.
- If your extension cord needs repair, buy a new one instead of fixing it with electrical tape.
- Signs of burning or melting also indicate that it’s time to get a new extension cord.
- Don’t use an adapter to turn a 3-prong extension cord into a 2-prong one.
- Use the right cord for the job. Appliances require a 3-prong, grounded cord. The larger the appliance and the more you use it, the more heavy-duty its cord should be.
- Unplug all extension cords before you clean appliances or the areas they are in with water.
- Use GFCI outlets in wet areas like bathrooms, utility rooms, outside, and more.
- Never operate electrical equipment while standing in water.
Other Electrical Safety Tips
- Replace any outlets or switches that aren’t working or that show signs of disrepair.
- Don’t exceed the capacity of lighting fixtures. Match bulb wattage to the recommended wattage on the lamp.
- Watch out for overloaded circuits, loose connections, tripping breakers, and more.
- If you experience an electrical fire, don’t put it out with water. Use a chemical fire extinguisher instead.
- Schedule electrical inspections regularly.
Visit here to learn how to do electrical safety inspection at home on your own, or contact us at Hop2It Electrical to schedule an electrical safety inspection today!