In the United States, over 150 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Most of the time, this gas comes from common household products that are improperly installed or that are malfunctioning.
Keep your family safe by learning more about carbon monoxide. Read on for the basics of what you should know, or simply give our experts a call!
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is also called CO. It is gas without color and without odor that causes people to feel like they have the flu and, if they do not leave the area immediately, die. This gas can be emitted by generators, heaters, fireplaces, water heaters, stoves, and more.
Symptoms of a Carbon Monoxide Leak
Because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, the first signs of a leak will often be that people simply feel unwell. The best way to describe minor CO poisoning is that it feels like having the flu, except without the fever. People may experience:
- Shortness of breath
As carbon monoxide poisoning progresses, the symptoms can worsen and change. People may develop:
- Loss of coordination
- Mental confusion
At this point, death is very near. If you find someone experiencing these symptoms, call 911 right away and do your best to remove the person from the building, as well as removing yourself and anyone else who might be inside.
What to Do If You Suspect a Carbon Monoxide Leak at Home
As mentioned above, the first thing to do is to get out of there! Go outside, next door, down the street, or get a hotel room. The key is to get away from any potential CO leak.
Get medical attention for anyone who needs it. If you aren’t sure, get medical attention anyway, just to make sure. If anyone is extremely ill or unconscious, call 911 right away.
Call for help with your carbon monoxide leak. This may be the fire department if the situation is urgent.
Stay out of the building until the CO problem is fixed and the repair is verified. You don’t want to risk your health or anyone else’s.
Things to Know About Carbon Monoxide Detectors
The best way to avoid carbon monoxide problems is to install carbon monoxide detectors. At a minimum, you should have one outside every bedroom (or in a central area outside several bedrooms) and at least one on every floor of your home.
Our team can help you find the best carbon monoxide detectors and make sure they are installed properly. Call us at Hop2It Electrical today and get yours installed soon!